Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Opening Up .Net to Everyone

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Ross on
Hi Jerry, I can summarize it as best I understand .NET and have a few reference links you can check out for more info.

.NET is built around the concept of user centric web services as opposed to machine centric applications. Whereas software is licensed by machine, a .NET web service is based around the user and as a result it is important to know who the user is.

Since .NET services are commerical in general, they will need a common way to authenticate the users identity and informtion. This provided by Hailstorm and more specifically by Miscrosoft's Passport servce. While client tools are open to development on any platform, the server side is less clear. It is clear that Passport will the ONLY authentication registry in the .NET system so both users AND service provides will pay for the pleasure. This is the basis for my suggestion for an independent authentication service protocol and software.

Microsoft controls all code and schema so you can get code but you cant modify it or make derivative works

.NET is a Microsoft scheme for controlling all transactions on the internet and making everyone dependent on MS... as they tries to do with Windows

If you are just looking at a web service infrastructure then you can use Java/EJBs, or C+/SOAP/WDL however you STILL have to deal how to authenticate users if you need to do any secure transactions. This is the central issue I think must be discussed.

My worry is people talking about .NET are talking about interacting with Hailstorm services which requires Passport authentication NO MATTER what your client tools are. If you want to provide a Hailstorm service, then you have to sign a license agreement with Microsoft which heavily restricts you.

My suggestion is boycott .NET and develop an alternative

References Hailstorm: Open Web Services Controlled by Microsoft

Who Is Microsoft Trying to Control