Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to askme.com style modules?

Collapse
Posted by Anthony Barker on
I have been working with so called "groupware" for a while.

I like the askme.com style of usenet/discussion with email notification. The ranking and email drive participation.

Data is classified according to the forum and the creation and classification of "experts" allows for better information sharing.

Does anyone have a list of knowledge types/categories? I grabbed a list a while back from a head hunter's website. But that was only valid for IT skills or knowledge. More usefull would be a listing of all types of cascading skillsets and knowledgetypes.

quickplace is more for document management. I have found more typical corporate users take to Lotus' "Teamroom" application faster than Quickplace. Teamroom was development based on some very high level research at mit.

Most knowledge is currently transfered by email. Making a system that is as easy as email can be a challenge. Grove is cool, but is simply too difficult for your average computer user.

The average askme.com user has about the skillset of an AOL user. Not much - but that is the target.

Another challege is Word document to html on the fly. I have used some of the opensource tools (wvWare) but it isn't always the highest fidelity.