Forum OpenACS Q&A: Members Online

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I enabled the possibility to see which members are online at the moment, as I think this is a really good community building feature. If you don't think so and would like to see it taken out again, please write to the OCT, so we can make an informed decision.
Collapse
2: Re: Members Online (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
It's a nice feature and a good idea. However, the current "online time" text of the current page is kind of confusing - just what is that about exactly? HTTP is a stateless protocol, there's no such thing as "online" - so what is that page really showing us? There should be some brief text on that page explaining what the numbers mean, probably in a small font either immediately above or below the table of online users.
Collapse
3: Re: Re: Members Online (response to 2)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
I think it shows the users that has accessed the site in the last N (10) minutes...
Collapse
4: Re: Members Online (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
It shows the number of REGISTERED users who have cookies enabled and haven't made themselves invisible who have accessed the site in the last ten minutes :)
Collapse
5: Re: Members Online (response to 1)
Posted by Torben Brosten on
It would be nice is there were also a count of the number of different sessions in the last N minutes, registered or not, cookies or no cookies, so we can get an overall idea of how much demand is really on the site.
Collapse
6: Re: Re: Members Online (response to 5)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
There is a proc to do that, but it's a stub, and nobody has finished writing it. 😊