Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #71 (Proposed): Add Jon Griffin's new Paginator Procs to Core Release

Don,

I knew that you were working on this (secretly hoped you would post here!!).

I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that you have worked through this issue because it would have taken me many days and a lot of experimentation before I fully understood it. I had concluded that there seemed to be a lot of surplus munching going on and was thinking along the lines of proposing to do what you have just suggested.

From my reading so far, even if you specified all the page parameters correctly, the paginator was still asking postgres to run through the entire unfiltered dataset (actually more than once) before arranging the required page.

It seems to me that the best way to paginate data is to ask postgres to do it (as in Jon's code). We don't need to import Jon's code to achieve this but as you say, we would need to make sure that the result of the user clicking on a url is a query that returns only the data required for the selected page, and in the correct order - and nothing more.

I have used 'Limit' and 'Offset' for paginating a 3000 row dataset and it is a really fast way to restrict the results. So any means of exposing this functionality through list builder gets my vote.

If there is anything that I can do to help please let me know.

Regards
Richard