Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Call for testers ... OpenACS 4

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Yond, 3.2 was not a disaster in this area. For the 3.2.5 release I walked through EVERY bug report on SDM. I read all of them, and closed all the ones that were relevant.

The thing is, many (most?) of those bug reports were from the alpha/beta days of OpenACS and they were not closed, but they got fixed. I had 2 choices: spend a lot of time closing every bug OR spend that time fixing other things in OpenACS. I opted for the latter.

Now I'm not saying that I was perfect. One or more bugs may have slipped, but I did walk through all of them.

But your point is valid. We need to be attentive and close the bugs in our modules. Porters need to watch their modules (click on the "I'm interested" button) so they receive notification when new bugs/patches are posted.

This is very important because if not done, the community will lose confidence in the process, as evidenced by your post. I don't see a better way of reporting bugs. Any other reporting method will suffer the same fate if the person responsible for that module/package does not take care of his/her responsibility.

But we should not lose confidence in the process. You could instead, e-mail the maintainer of the package and try to work this out with him/her.

So, may this be a heads-up for all those helping in the port: Check your SDM reports, please!