Forum .LRN Q&A: 'Public folder' access by non-members

Two questions:

1)What is the purpose of the group subtype 'profiled-group' (ie. dotlrn Users, dotLRN Admins, dotLRN Professors, dotLRN Students, dotLRN Externals) and their corresponding relational segments?

I understand the use of the 'Registered .LRN Non-Guest' and 'Registered .LRN Guest' rel-seg because they partitions Registered Users' by guest/non-guest status.

But I can't understand the rational for these profiled groups.

2) The 'DotLRN Users' rel-seg has
a) 'read' privileges on the main dotlrn package
b) 'read' privileges on each community's public folder

As an example, 'DotLRN Users' rel-seg has 'read' permissions on the community's Public folder but how do you access it if you are not a member of the community? If I use a url like:

http://localhost:8100/dotlrn/clubs/communitya/file-storage/?folder_id=1940

(where folder_id = 1940 is the public folder)

then I get a 'permission denied' error and the log says that the user does not have 'read' permissions on the file-storage PACKAGE . This is correct but they do have 'read' permissions on the folder.

So what is the use of granting 'read' permission on any of the folders in the package if they do not have at least 'read' permissions on the package.

DotLRN Users have 'read' permissions in the entire dotlrn instance but the community does not inherit permissions from the main instance so this is not inherited by the file-storage package under the community.

If I let the community inherit from the main dotlrn instance then I have access to the public folder without being a member of the group. Is this not the design of a public folder?