Forum .LRN Q&A: Newbie Installation Questions

Collapse
Posted by William Painter on
I have finally gotten Open ACS installed on a box running FC3. the AOL server, pgsql, and tcl are all running.

openacs-5.1.3
aolserver-4.0.9
tcl8.4.4
postgresql-7.4.5

Upon "installing" dotlrn in the admin section of the open acs, I get this error:

invalid command name "dotlrn::require_admin"
    while executing
"dotlrn::require_admin "
    ("uplevel" body line 30)
    invoked from within
"uplevel {

(there's more if needed)

I've tried a number of things, read the faq, and still can't resolve the error. I have had similar, but not the same, problems with other components.

With much help from some others in this community, I have been able to muddle through installing everything up to now. Should I re-install ACS and start over there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
To my knowledge you cannot install .LRN from the APM. You need to:
  • Stop your server.
  • Drop your database
  • Create it again
  • Copy /var/lib/aolserver/yourservername/packages/dotlrn/install.xml to /var/lib/aolserver/yourservername
  • Start your server again
When accessing your server now, you should see some notion about .LRN being installed.
Collapse
Excellent. Worked like a charm.

Many grateful thanks.

Collapse
Well, I have to say that I am deeply impressed by the .LRN system. I have successfully installed it with the wonderful help from this community.

I do have a couple of probably stupid questions though. I seem to have trouble installing some components and making them available as portelets (I think that is the correct term). Wimpy installs fine but I'm not too sure how to integrate it into a community portelet, for example. And while I seem to have successfully installed the Chat (no errors in the error.log) I can't seem to access it at all. I am sure I am missing something obvious.

I hope to be able to give back as much as I have gotten from this community: the installation was a real learning experience and, having once gone through that, I think I can pass on similar support to others.

Thanks again.