Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Re: Is package_exec_plsql able to handle multiple definitions of the same function (PG)?

I think PG knows which function is being called based on the number and type of the params.

Also, then, package_exec_plsql cannot handle 2 or more function calls well unless there's a convention for the params. And I don't know exactly why there are multiple definitions of content_template__new while in oracle is just one .new.

The reason is so that its "easier" to call postgresql functions. For example content_item__new is up to 19 parameters last time I checked. There is a simplified version with 4 or 5 parameters that maybe use useful.

Remember that previous to package_exec_plsql and the drive to move most functions up into Tcl procedures there were many calls to plsql functions in XQL files. Now that we have package_exec_plsql and are moving more functions into Tcl procs, we don't really need the overloaded functions.

So to summarize, only the function that matches the oracle version should have define_function_args called for it. I fixed this for content_template__new on oacs-5-1 and HEAD with an upgrade script.

I see the reason, then we can gradually get rid of those mini-functions, also, there are problems with __del as well. Thanks for the help!