Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Getting current News items on Home Page!

Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Price on
Thanks Sean and Scott,

Chunks looks exactly like what I want, I guess my problem with the incorporation of dynamic data with HTML is I'm really a "newbie" when it comes to the use of TCL and the entire ACS system. While I am proficient with the use of php and HTML, the ACS way is different. I'm used to the HTML being in plain sight with the php embedded into the basic HTML page. The .tcl page looks completely different, in fact it looks like a large TCL script with a little HTML embedded into it.

It's hard to follow the index.tcl page from the Intranet module because of the interaction with all the extra files in many different modules; some of which are not in the document root.

I think when I get this figured out, I'll have to document the process to build a .tcl page and post it.

When I get back to work I'm going to print out all the pages in the OpenACS 3.2.5 distro and see what I can learn.

On a side note, while "chunks" looks like what I want, and the referenced site does have the functions I'm looking for on the front page, how would I actually implement it? I know I just can't cut the TCL section I want and paste it into the table cell I need.

Oh well, this is a problem for another day...

Thanks all,