Forum OpenACS Development: Dynamic threaded user interface for forums

I have added the dynamic threaded forums user interface to the forums package on HEAD. You can see a preview of it at http://angora.furfly.net/forums/

Additional work to clean up the HTML, and make it easier to style it with CSS is ongoing.

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi Dave,

thank you very much. Here some thoughts and ideas:

1. I would display the form with the display types on the right and on the left directly display the first post.
This looks better since no place is wasted and the display form shouldn't have the focus.

2. The minimal display results in an error

3. The form doesn't always respond. So why not add a submit button, just in case.

4. the dynamic display tells for each post to what it response to. From what I see the posts are listed by date. Why not display as thread? So all responses to a thread are followed by each other.

5. Another more general thing: Compared to LAMP forum products our forum is very slow. Any chance we can improve the performance of forums? From what I see it is the most used package in dotLRN anyway - at least at our installation.

6. One question: how difficult would it be to define a flag that makes a forum read only? So users cannot post to it anymore.

Greetings,
Nima

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Nima, we've been improving forum performance, if you grab the latest from the 5.1 branch all the improvements you see here on openacs.org will be included.

Note that you'll want to use the APM to do an upgrade and you'd want to test it on a copy of your data first.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I personally find the interace on Angora to need a lot of work. There are some neat ideas there, but let's take the UAB's usability proposals and implement them.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Jade,

That's the idea. We wanted to take the code we had and put it in CVS where we can work on it further.