Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OpenACS Performance Tests

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Hi Brian, if you 've got a lot of long-running threads after a while you can no longer serve any requests. Using background delivery you can delegate the serving of large files to a single thread that manages multiple channels (sockets).

You can do the same thing for resources (css, javascript, images, graphics) using a reverse proxy. The idea is that you should not keep threads loaded with the full blueprint of your installation for these tasks.

The way you use background delivery is similar to ns_returnfile, i.e.

ad_returnfile_background 200 [ns_guesstype ${filename}] ${filename}

Though, you need to make sure that you have tthread installed and the background delivery code that Gustaf wrote.

PS. The NaviServer project went the extra mile of serving requests by loading the procs dynamically --- only those required for a given request. My understanding is that the xorb package does something similar but at a higher level of abstraction.

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
i agree with most of the statements. background delivery is more general than the reverse proxy, since one can do all permission checking etc. as usual in openacs, just the spooling is done via a single thread. This single thread can spool simultaneously several thousands of requests. You can't do that with threads (at least not without modifying the linux kernel). We run into scalability problems with pound (thread based) which were solved by moving to nginx (async delivery).

neophytos, i think, you meant tclthreads and not "tthread" (which sounds close to zoran's ttrace). The c-level code for background delivery is part of naviserver and aolserver 4.5 in the cvs head version. You find patches for aolserver 4.0 and plain 4.5 in the wiki.

xorb is very different from ttrace and is no replacement. ttrace can help to make threads thinner, at the cost of making introspection more complex/wrong. ttrace is not (at least was not) depending on any naviserver code, Zoran wrote it for aolserver. ttrace has XOTcl support and vice versa.

The primary argument in the discussion above: assume you have 10 connection threads configured and you want to server some larger files over some slower lines (600 MB files, delivery might take 2 minutes per request). If 10 people download these files via connection threads at the same time, the server won't be able to serve any requests for these 2 minutes, since tall connection threads are busy; incoming requests will be queued. When you have bgdelivery installed, the connection thread is only used for permission checking and file location on the disk (usually a few milliseconds). This leads to much better scalability.

Collapse
about nginx: I did that as well but nginx has/had some trouble with the COMET stuff (as opposed to pound that works fine). Still, I'm using nginx.

about tclthreads: The package on TCL's file distribution area (on sf) is called thread-2.6.5 (not sure if that's what you mean). That package also includes ttrace, yes.

about ttrace: NaviServer has that integrated or makes use of it in order to provide tracing as an option. I haven't used that due to some problems that existed between that mechanism and XOTCL back when I tried (as soon as it was released). I remember sending you a message about that but I am not sure what's the current status.

about xorb: yes, I did not mean to imply that it is a replacement but it does serialize/deserialize code from a single thread and it also makes threads thinner, right? (just asking)

Collapse
The c-level code for background delivery is part of 
naviserver and aolserver 4.5 in the cvs head version. You 
find patches for aolserver 4.0 and plain 4.5 in the wiki.
If you use NaviServer, it's already there.
Collapse
Please disregard the comment "if you use NaviServer, it's already there". The only way to actually use it is to get the cvs head version :)
Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Hi Neophytos!
Good to see you on the forums again.

Ok, I got it - it's a drop-in replacement for ns_returnfile. Very useful to know about.

thanks,
Brian

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Since this thread turns out out be a kind of tutorial, here some completion of the information: ad_returnfile_background is part of xotcl-core and has the following requirements
  1. xotcl-core (sure, if it is defined there)
  2. one needs either a "new" aolserver, or an "old" with the required patches (see discussion above and Boost...), and
  3. one has to have libthread installed (tcl thread library, as described in the request-monitor wiki page)
If you have e.g. only (1), you will have as well a function named ad_returnfile_background, but this will just call ns_returnfile.

Hope this helps -gustaf neumann