Forum OpenACS Development: Response to General Alerts

Collapse
Posted by Peter Harper on
Hi folks,

Appologies for not dipping into this conversation until now, I've been pretty busy.  As Don's already mentioned, us at OpenMSG  are very keen to see some progress in this area.  We've been building AolServer SMS support for while now, and would like to see the OpenACS adopt a notifcation/message/alert scheme that would allow (relatively) easy integration of this stuff, as well as the jabber development being done by Tom.

I'd literally only just started thinking about this yesterday, so I haven't got any clear thoughts in my own head yet about overall requirements.  I'll try and formalise them over the next few days.

The issue raised by Michael regarding a user wanting alerts "from user x, or containing text y" is interesting, and by total coincidence is another issue I've been discussing with my colleagues here at OpenMSG over the last couple of days.  This is highlights common functionality (in my opinion) that might be used across various different packages in the system, i.e. a filtering mechanism.  Is there a requirement here for an acs-filter service package?  This could allow a user in the system to apply filters to their alerts.  (granted Don's concern about server CPU cycles....).  Ideally, this package could be integrated with the content repository, so providing a content item "filtering" mechanism.

I need to bring myself fully up to speed with the current alerts system within the ACS, which I shall do over the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Pete.