Forum OpenACS Development: glossary is broken

Posted by Don Baccus on
For the hell of it I started whacking at glossary a couple of days ago.  The data model and many of the queries are now ported.

However, glossary's incomplete, or rather Walter McGinnis apparently got  part-way through a enhancement pass while still at aD and that part-way status is frozen in time.  This is probably related to the fact that he no longer works there :)  The Oracle version craps out when I add a term, for instance - a glossary with no definitions isn't very useful!

So I plan to fiddle today to see if I can fill in the missing pieces for the Oracle version and complete the PG version.

Of course, this package could be implemented as a spin on ETP rather than living life on its own.  One reason I decided to port it, though, is that it is very simple but still makes full use of the content repository (both text and images), templating, acs-workflow, and the form handler.    I think it's worthwhile as a short, relatively simple example of how all these pieces can be tied to together to make a coherent whole(and as time permits I'll tie it into the new search package structure, too).

Collapse
Posted by Walter McGinnis on
The ACS 4x Glossary Package never made it beyond alpha
stage.  Mainly because several acs-subsite and services issues
weren't resolved while I was still at aD (some still linger).

The design of the Glossary Package was meant to show how
one could make a simple ACS 3x module much more powerful
in the ACS 4 world via code reuse through acs-content-
repository, acs-workflow, and general comments.  In fact, it was
originally to be the basis of ASJ article.  These added
dependencies, all with their own issues, made the Glossary
impossible to finish in a clean manner at the time.  In other
words, its a great example of what's good and bad about the
unfinished ACS 4x platform.

At this point, OpenACS 4 is a huge step forward in resolving
ACS 4 pitfalls.  I think the Glossary can be a good stand alone
package, but one now has to look at what has changed in all its