Forum .LRN Q&A: User portal configuration problem

Hi all,

today I'm going live with a corporate client, replacing their former proprietary platfom (Docent) with .LRN.

Only at the very last moment I discovered that a few PC running IE6 with a screen resolution of 800x600 have a visualization problem with the user portal page.

The problem depends on the dotlrn-lorsm portlet, that doesn't fit nicely on the standard two columns Zen layout. As a quick workaround I dropped a column reducing the size of the portlet, so somehow bypassing the problem.

I then tried to reconfigure the user portal template choosing the Zen Thin-Thick layout, willing to move the dotlrn-lorsm portlet to the thick side, but surprisingly (to me) the portlet doesn't appear in any page nor between the unused portlets.

On the contrary the portlet is present if I try to reconfigure a single user portal page, but I dont't want to reconfigure manually all of them!

Exploring the datamodel I found that the section of the portal_element_map table corresponding to the user portal template doesn't contain the dotlrn-lorsm datasource.

I searched a way to add the missing portlet via UI, but didn't find any.

What should I do? Is it safe inserting the missing row to the portal_element_map table? Why is it missing?

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Claudio,

You can force the portlet to be added on the right side using the parameter "lorsm_portlet_force_region" of the lorsm-portlet package. A value of "1" means left, "2" right.

On the side, the lorsm portlet will be added to the user portal when the user is enrolled in a course that uses it. So a new user that hasn't enrolled in any course yet, won't have that portlet installed.

I don't think it's safe to insert a row in the portal_element_map table.

Collapse
Posted by Claudio Pasolini on
Thank You Emmanuelle,

it's simple when you know where to look at!