Forum OpenACS Development: Response to APM - RPM *.apm style vs. BSD ports style?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
On the other hand ... at a simpler level taking steps to standardize release tags (of which there are currently zero) for packages, along with some clear documentation on how to update packages from CVS, etc, is something we should be thinking of doing after we get a release out the door...

We will also want to provide upgrade .sql scripts for tagged releases after we hit beta (during this alpha-ish stage my philosophy has been "all bets are off", but that will need to change, as was pointed out in a recent thread).

This would lead to a situation where you can delete a package's files, grab the latest from CVS, stuff them in the right place, run the upgrade script, and be on your way.

In theory ... I've been worrying, as I dig further and further into this beast, that we may need to do some fairly serious mucking about the datamodel in ways that will make upgrading painful (as Stephen points out elsewhere, acs-objects and the CR don't always play well together, and IMO more generally the CR is too closely tied to the CMS package).

Ugh ...