Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Marketing and Advocacy

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Torben, the reason for a different forum is justified by the fact that not all people interested in Marketing OpenACS are interested in reading and digging through the OpenACS Q&A Forum.

As for going the whole way, I'm totally with you, except for the company bit as it should not be called arsdigita2, but OpenACS Foundation and have no commercial interest whatsoever.

Concerning the idea of a TEMP agency, I think Caroline and myself have already setup our companies in a way that will allows us (and the developers) to provide this functionality.

All I can say that the marketing process so far has not worked at all, everyone has done their bit independently and judging from past experience, the total impact from a marketing group is larger than the sum of it's participants impact.

Let me ask a few questions, to give you an example where we are lacking *coordinated* efforts. How many people showed up to Linux World Expo in the US or Europe? Do we have some information paper that allow a user to quickly see the functionality OpenACS has to offer? Is there an introduction into .LRN with the focus on how a university can make use of an LMS? Do we have a description how well OpenACS works as an enabler for Communities of Practise? Are there documents why OpenACS is the best solution a NGO can go for?

Yes, some of this information is contained in the forums. But are you going to dig through the forums if you are looking for a new tool to help you achieve XYZ? I for myself look for information that helps me *quickly* decide if it is worth reading more or not. And OpenACS does not provide this at the moment.

I could go on about the deficiencies of our marketing efforts here, but I guess we should only start this if there is enought interest from the community at large to tackle this problem. If there is not, I'll continue to do this on my own and go the informal path of contacting e.g Caroline and Jeff privately.