Forum OpenACS Q&A: WimpyPoint with special characters...

I am currently working with the configuration of OpenACS 3.2.5. As I am not yet an OpenACS-expert I have come accross two problems:
  • I can't get WimpyPoint to accept special danish characters
  • I can't change the db-access from trust to password. Well, I can change it, but I can't access the db with the dbpassword typed in the nsd.tcl-file.

WimpyPoint

I have added
ns_startcontent -type $content_type
in /tcl/ad-utilities.tcl.preload like this:

proc ReturnHeaders {{content_type text/html}} {
set all_the_headers "HTTP/1.0 200 OK
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: $content_type "
util_WriteWithExtraOutputHeaders $all_the_headers
}

and

proc_doc ad_return_top_of_page {first_part_of_page {content_type text/html}} "Returns HTTP headers plus the top of the user-ivisible page. Saves a TCP packet (and therefore some overhead) compared to using ReturnHeaders and an ns_write." {
set all_the_headers "HTTP/1.0 200 OK
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: $content_type "
util_WriteWithExtraOutputHeaders $all_the_headers
$first_part_of_page
}

This solves the special-character-problem in for instance the address-book, BUT NOT in WimpyPoint. What can I do? It is quite anoying to use the html-commands, like oslash...

db-access

Using the default dbname acs - also as dbuser - I have changed dbpassword "changeme..." to something else in the nsd.tcl-file.
Next I have changed trust to password in the two last lines in the pg_hba.conf-file.

The log gives me this message:
Error: Ns_PgOpenDb(postgres): Could not connect to localhost::acs: Password authentication failed for user 'acs'

So where is the problem? Do I have to add the password somewhere else, or?!?

Collapse
Posted by Henry Minsky on
I have a copy of wimpy point which runs fine with Japanese charsets.
If you want to take a look at my source code, send me a note and I can make a tar file for you. I don't remember what I did exactly, but I was hacking a lot of Japanese charset issues, and so patched
my ACS 3.2.5 server quite a bit.
Collapse
Posted by Mathias J. From on
Even though I want to work with special scandinavian letters, we must be dealing with the same kind of problem.
So: yes, please - I would like you to send me a tar file containing your source code. The sooner the better - the problem is quite annoying...

By the way, in spite of my hack - shown above - I have similar problems in the libraries users/ (creation of text-files) and poll/. And I wonder if there exists an overall way of solving the problem - like initially setting the "content_type" (where?) to for example unicode?!?
Do you know anything about that?