Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Marketing and Advocacy

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Aldert, "Not a well coordinated community". Having looked at a lot of open source communities I would have to dispute this assertion pretty strongly. We have never forked and things that get developed tend to be done with some consideration of what the community would like to see. I think you are confusing being resource constrained with not being coordinated. If OpenACS were a commercial product it would

The notion that you can "restructure the community" by fiat betrays a pretty profound misunderstanding of what community means.

I just don't know how you can build a roadmap for non-funded volunteer work or make paid client work conform to a community consensus roadmap. I do think we could write a "where do we want to go" type of roadmap but I don't think we could attach a timeline to that.

That said, I just don't think what matters most for marketing is whatever wishes and empty promises we put on some "roadmap", what matters are the things you mentioned: easy installation and making what we already have look and work better.

One aspect I would hope would come out of a marketing discussion would be what sorts of live demo sites would best showcase what people care about from openacs. I would also like to see the companies who have built real sites to put together a page with links to the "best examples" of what people are doing with openacs. There are good sites out there that are a testimony to what openacs can do but it's not easy to seperate the wheat from the chafe.