Forum OpenACS Q&A: Philg site down?

Collapse
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on
Does anyone knows why the site from Philip Greenspun is down? I have
tryied to connect yesterday and today, always get "Connection
Refused"... IIRC it was running on the same machines as photo.net, is
that still correct? Since photo.net is still up ... just asking.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It's not running on the same machine as photo.net, that was a misunderstanding.  Last time this happened it was due to the machine crashing and no one at aD having noticed, IIRC.
Collapse
Posted by S. Y. on
Philip split off his personal domains from those of ArsDigita and photo.net a while back. Originally, his site was intermingled with photo.net and lived on the same machine.

According to the Netcraft What's That Site Running? http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/ service, www.photo.net is now running on AOLserver 3.3.1+ad13/Linux while philip.greenspun.com is still at AOLserver 3.2+ad12/Solaris.

The two machines are one IP address apart, so they're probably in the same co-lo facility.

I don't know why the site was down; philip.greenspun.com is working fine from my machine though (Sat 12:25 P.M. PST).

Collapse
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on
Thanks for the infor guys ... yep, looks like it's up and running again.
Collapse
Posted by Rajeev Surati on
to clear up the confusion.

specifically

photo.net is running on a sun e450 at the focal commuication colo facility in cambridge.

philip.greenspun.com is being served off that box. As a result of his lawsuit I think he had to move it along with photo.net out of aD at least that was what I was asked to do by aD and its counsel. I didn't have to move philip.greenspun.com but it was easy so I did it since it has always been on the same box and I was feeling quite generous.

philip.greenspun.com is behind a firewall and for some reason the firewall settings that were working for a long time suddently stopped working. When I looked at the file I corrected the strange entry.

The keepalive software on the same box thought that the server was fine but it was not.

I am not sure why philg doesn't have uptime running for his machien. Or maybe it is because his company doesn't provide such services anymore.