Forum OpenACS Development: Intranet module (or a bit of it)

Collapse
Posted by Michael Hinds on
Hi folks,

I know this is a recurring question, but what is the status of the
port/development of the intranet module? Actually, I'm just looking
for a time sheets implementation. We (in my company) have been
building client sites on ACS3.4 for a good while now, but would like
to start moving towards Open ACS since things are so much
more "alive" in terms of community and development.

Cheers

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Nothing's been done, though we have the pieces of the initial aD effort to move intranet to ACS 4.x.  It would slide into OpenACS 4 Oracle quite  easily I should think.

However ... before anyone would want to do that they'd want to take a good hard look at the unfinished work from aD.  If you folks are interested in peeking at this let me know - there are some previous threads on the subject so I'd suggesting starting out by researching them.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
I would think that dotLRN will make a really fine backbone for an
intranet solution. You'd still need the biz-specific functionality
(time sheets, etc.), but in terms of creating project areas, etc., it'll
probably be a good model.
Collapse
4: Any word on dotLRN? (response to 1)
Posted by Tapiwa Sibanda on
Is there any word on when dotLRN will be out? I have a site that I would like to build, and I think dotLRN would make the perfect foundation.

The dotlrn.mit.edu site talks about availability in Jan 2001 (although I think this is probably a typo and should be 2002) and an alpha release in mid November.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
That is a typo, Tapiwa; dotLRN was always targeted for this
coming January (probably late January, AFAIK). Obviously, the
preview release was delayed, but I'm told they still plan on hitting
their January deadline and they still plan on putting out a
preview release some time before then. But I'm not an insider on
the project, so I'm only telling you what I was told a couple of
weeks ago. Perhaps somebody who is directly involved with the
project will give us more detail when they can.
Collapse
Posted by Stefan Larsson on
For some reason (got published after acs 4.1?) it escaped the openacs status page, but the the most similar package to intranet for version for ACS 4 tcl available for download from arsdigita is called project-tracker http://www.arsdigita.com/acs-repository/one-version?version_id=1827
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Project tracker is complete vapor ware, at least in our experience. It's mostly to manage projects (hence the name) but it basically doesn't do much of anything.

Alas, intranet is virtually non-existent. I agree with Michael that dotLRN will take us very close to where we need to go.

Or we can all just wait for Armenta to show up and then move on to that...

talli

Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
Or we can all just wait for Armenta to show up and then move on to that...

OK, I'll bite. What's "Armenta"?

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
http://www.keystoneboxing.com/armenta.htm
http://www.actionrealty.com/armenta.html
http://www.actionrealty.com/armenta.html
http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/fugitives/orleans/armenta.htm
http://www.armentahealth.com/textbw.htm

(courtesy of an ex-aD member who shall remain anonymous 😉 )

I'm not sure how these links help with an intranet, though.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
From what I've heard, Armenta will be a new vehicle that will revolutionize human transportation. Some think it's a personal hovercraft, others say it's a small helicopter and still others believe that it is a beacon summoning the ultimate reckoning by a space-traveling uber-species.

Steve Jobs has gone on record as saying it will "change civilization as Michelangelo painted it".

But we won't really know until the next episode of Good Morning America. Or until Vinod returns from Cancun.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Stephen . on
Oh you mean the Segway? That's so old news... I haven't been as excited since the Sinclair C5.
Collapse
Posted by Jerry Asher on
I am looking for partners to help develop and market Segway jousting -developing a branded franchise -- arenas, teams, website, various UPN shows), jousting gear, and other related items (lubricants and other stuff to keep your human transporter in working shape?)

I'm thinking Russell Crowe and Chyna of course.

Let me know if you are interested

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
It sounds like there is some uncertainty as to what will be the Intranet module on OACS 4. Just to add to the uncertainty, I've done a number of improvements (mostly UI improvements) to the ACS 3.4 Intranet module, and I'm going to be uploading them into the upcoming ACS 3.5 release, which Malte is hosting. So you have yet another possibility to look at. :)

Some of my extentions do rely on Oracleisms like connect by.

Collapse
Posted by Chris Hardy on
Well, since the Intranet module was never created for 4.0 (if you look at ArsDigita's plans, and Intranet is pretty much a complete re-write) I had been planning on building a Intranet based on the Arsdigita setup, but with our own enhacements.  I just haven't had time to start the module, like I did for 3.4.  So how do we want to do this? ;)
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
If not much work has been done, then I'd encourage whoever writes this to at least look at the code I'll be adding to the ACS 3.5 distribution. I should have the changed committed in the next two weeks.

I think there are enough improvements that it would be worth whoever's time to look at my code.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I just finished completely rewriting /ticket/index.tcl today. I'll put it up on the ACS 3.5 distribution, but if anybody uses it, I can email you a copy now (just drop in the file and see if you like it). It does 95% of what the original ticket page did, and the interface is about 95% better. The code's also about 95% easier to read.

Email me if you want me to send you a copy.

Jade