Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Open ACS handling heavy traffic

Collapse
Posted by roland dunn on
Well thanks to everyone for all their responses, very interesting and helpful. I wonder if I could pop up a few more questions?

I'm thinking of using a couple of AOL servers running something OpenACS 3.2.5, one Oracle DB server, and one mirror/failover/clustered backup Oracle DB server.

A few questions then:

In https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0003L3&topic_id=11&topic=OpenACS Jerry Asher writes "I plan to address the five nines with: load balancers and clustered aolservers (thanks for the BigIP recommendation)". Does anyone know more about this BigIP recommendation, or how to load balance a couple of AOL Servers?

I'm guessing that one should use some load balancing device something like a Cisco CSS 11050 Content Services Switch. What I'm also not sure of is how to deal with cookies and ACS - presumably a user who gets a cookie from webserver A has to be redirected back to webserver A rather than webserver B on their return. Am I right? Is this straightforward with a device lke the Cisco one above? How do people recommend such a thing is dealt with?

Re: the Oracle DB servers - we'd like to set them up so that if one of the Oracle DB's dies the other kicks in instantly. I've been told that the best way to do this is Oracle Clustering - anyone any thoughts on this? Is such a thing possible using Oracle Enterprise 8.1.7 on Linux? I'd also been told that Oracle Clustering isn't possible on Linux. Anyone any thoughts?