Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Re: Oracle out of sync

Collapse
9: Re: Re: Oracle out of sync (response to 8)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Well, until the day that "Scrap Oracle" TIP gets passed, I will remain shocked that most - as opposed to merely a few - OpenACS developers are too damn lazy to even install both supported RDBMSs on their machines.

For anyone with the technical skills that I suspect, hope, and assume most of the core OpenACS contributors have, and unless my 9i install experience was grossly atypical (which is somewhat possible, as I was using an ancient Red Hat 7.3 box), installing a development-grade Oracle instance probably boils down to no more than an afternoon or two of work, maybe once or twice per year.

What is the biggest obstacle preventing better Oracle support? Install docs for 9i and 10g? What? If there's something I might be able to do to help improve OpenACS Oracle support, I definitely want to at least know what it is...

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Also, so many folks seem to think that better OpenACS Apache support is "critical", yet many (I'm now told) are apparently willing to to let OpenACS's long-standing Oracle support gradually wither away and die? Doesn't that seem rather odd?