Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to MS Proxy Server and Caching Problem with OpenACS 4.2 Web Site

We do see this with some of N2H2's Bess Proxies and some MS Proxies I think. This is ACS 3.4.x, we get complaints a lot with users claiming they see other user's names on our main page.

My take on that was it was a broken proxy, because doesn't the presence of a unique cookie change the headers and cause the proxy not to cache?

See http://www.arsdigita.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg%5fid=000ZKi&topic%5fid=21&topic=web%2fdb on the aD bboard where we discussed this, and aD sort of revealed that they didn't set any headers.

Just for giggles, here are the standard headers thrown by one of our IIS installations. This is for a static page:

3 Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 17:16:27 GMT
4 Connection: Keep-Alive
5 Content-Length: 4663
6 Content-Type: text/html
7 Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDGGQQGQWA=DKNPBLCDPDGMPCPDHHIAAEMA; path=/
8 Cache-control: private

And here's a dynamic page:

3 Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 17:16:36 GMT
4 Connection: Keep-Alive
5 Content-Length: 4208
6 Content-Type: text/html
7 Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 07:00:00 GMT
8 Set-Cookie: Test=783687100; path=/aas
9 Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDGGGGQRGF=ICOBGLOCBANJHKGLOOKAPFHE; path=/
10 Cache-control: private

I think we definitely have to do something about this. I'm just not sure what. Since with the templating system, every page is "dynamic" do we need to tag each page somehow? That seems like a pain. Or maybe the default should be no caching, and we tag the pages we know can be cached...