Forum .LRN Q&A: E-LANE has been released !!!

Collapse
Posted by Victor Guerra on
Galileo University announces the release of the E-LANE Project , which is based in the last stable release of the .LRN plataform (dotlrn-2.1.1). Please feel free to download the tarball in E-LANE's public section . Its important to mention that for now E-LANE only provides support for postgresql.

The release includes by default the following packages (aditional packages compared the dotlrn release):
Learning Objects Managment System (LORS)
Assessment
Evaluation
User Tracking
Photo Album
Random Photo
Weblogger
Wimpy Point

The E-LANE Partners are currently working on:
Windows Installer for dotlrn-2.1.1 and e-lane.
Debian Package for dotlrn-2.1.1 and e-lane.
Knoppix CDs for e-lane.
Changes on the LORS package.
Assessment package.
New features regarding the Bug Tracker and the autosubmition of bugs into it.

I hope that this release might be usefull to you.

Regards,
Victor Guerra.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Congratulations.

Is it possible the developers of the installers can create some documentation for their procedures? It would be great if we could also offer basic OpenACS intsalls in the same way.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Just to be sure that everybody understands, this is the distro e-lane members are using, which has been tested and added some important packages for the project. It is not a fork of .LRN, it just the standard .LRN distro plus extra packages, and that we wanted to make it of public use.
Collapse
Hi Dave,

Of course, we are going to ask them for some documentation.
Actually if there is going to be an windows installer for dotlrn, i guess that its pretty much the same thing for the openacs installer, shouldnt be that hard to work on that one.

Regards,
Victor Guerra

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Congratulations! Thanks for the clarification Roc.

Look forward to trying it out and seeing how you integrated all the additional packages.

Carl

P.S. Adding auto-submission of errors is a nice touch.

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Roc, way to roc!
Collapse
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Congratulations!!

It is great see Assessment running well using acs-content-repository from 5-1 not exclusively HEAD.

And the best: it is great see user-tracking live!!! I think lot of work was done and the package is a solid step to .LRN runs as competitive courseware (or maybe a LMS?).

Just two things only about e-lane distribution:

1. config.tcl contains:

# The hostname and address should be set to actual values.
set hostname [ns_info hostname]
#set address [ns_info address]
set address 10.0.2.184
#set address 174.14.0.104

it could be better if it was as config.tcl from OpenACS HEAD to prevent misunderstandings:

# The hostname and address should be set to actual values.
# setting the address to 0.0.0.0 means aolserver listens on all interfaces
set hostname [ns_info hostname]
#set address [ns_info address]
set address 0.0.0.0

2. apm-callback-procs.tcl from user-tracking contains:

# Escribo fichero de users.txt
exec "/bin/mkdir" ${dir}awstat
set touch [exec "/bin/touch" ${dir}awstat/userinfo.txt]

well, i try install user-tracking in my FreeBSD5.2.1 box and there is no touch at /bin/ only /usr/bin then package install results in error and did not mount user-package instance in site-map

For a while is just it. Now i got it running i want to try it hard (assessment and user-tracking).

Thanks

Collapse
Thank you for reporting the issue with the config.tcl,
It was my mistake... i uploaded the wrong tarball, i was testing in my laptop, sorry about it. =).

Your are rigth, that call back code does not work for FreeBSD, ill make the respective changes and commit them to HEAD.

Thank you for trying the E-LANE tarball. ;).

Regards,
Victor Guerra

Collapse
Posted by David Arroyo Menéndez on
I'm interested in reading the user tracker documentation. Can I do it?
Collapse
Posted by David Ortega on
Hi David,

You can read something about user-tracking in this thread:

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=199775

Collapse
Posted by David Arroyo Menéndez on
Thanks!!
Collapse
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Rocael, Victor, David

Are there E-lane partners working (or plan going to work) on some kind of synchronous aplication for e-lane distro like IM (enhancing the jabber package), chat or shared whiteboards?

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
yes, we'll work on jabber, well basically use the code that is already there ... I would love to see application sharing in the future ...
Collapse
Its important to mention that E-LANE Project has not campatibility with Postgresql 8.0.
If you try to install E-LANE using Postgresql 8.0 your going to find some weird errors in the install process.
The supported postgresql versions are: 7.3.2, 7.3.3, and 7.3.4 and 7.4.x. *7.4.5 is the (recommended version)*.
Collapse
Galileo University has uploaded a new version of the E-LANE Project (version beta 7). Feel free to download it from http://e-lane.org/public/?folder_id=11650

New versions of Assessment and User Tracking have been included, as well, new functionality for forums ( better statistics and moving threads ).

The packages tsearch2-driver and search have been included in order to have full text search support. IMS-ent package has been added to the tarball just for reference.

Remember that e-lane has not compatibility with the new version of Postgresql ( v. 8.0).

Feel free to test this new release, anny comments or suggestions are welcome!

Regards,
Victor Guerra.