Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Will Dr. OpenACS survive? Or why I stopped worrying and learned to love the .LRN consortium?

I don't think I want to be in an openacs vs sakai debate either (as I don't know much of anything about sakai or really about any other e-learning platforms). I am more interested in seeing something that works well for permissioning as it's one of those really hard things to get right.

The permissioning you saw there for openacs was local to an event calendar under a particular subsite and not sitewide -- although with inherited permissions you can permission on the subsite directly rather than per application (which is something sakai seems to lack -- driving things more from roles and direct permissions as far as I can tell).

One thing that's also not clear in the sakai example is whether something like file storage which has a folder structure can permission a folder and have that permission inherited by it's children.

What I really want to find is an example of role based permissions that people really like but I have not seen one yet.