Forum OpenACS Development: Fixing bad HTML

Collapse
Posted by Scott Mc Williams on
Hi all. With the push to OACS 4.x going along at full speed I am wondering if any of the old poorly written HTML has been addressed. I think most of the developers here and back in the olden days at aD are wonderfully talented coders. But I also think that most of the aD'ers had a hard time writing decent HTML. In 3.x OACS I've noticed TONS of bad HTML. Lots of little things like <P>, <TD> and <TR>'s not closed, and killer things like <TABLE>s not closed. I get the feeling that HTML is secondary in many coder's minds, but the fact is that it is VITAL for proper presentation of a site. Next on the agenda is CSS. I know there's been talk about Style Sheet integration, but is that really happening? Or, are templates taking their place, or a combination? Since we have this cool database back end, we should really consider going the full mile and separating content from style, no? I can certainly help weed through the horrific HTML. I am also trying to work within the XHTML transitional specs for my sites these days. But, I lack the basic knowledge that I think is required to do this in a way that would help the cause (and therefore...humanity as we know it). If there is a desire for clean, validatable (is that a word?) code, I am happy to help...but I might need some BASIC pointers. Thanks, Scott
Collapse
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on

Hello Scott

There is definetly the need for valid XHTML.

I made some modifications to the acs-templating package to make its output XHTML 1.0 transitional, please check this thread.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I don't think we ever got those changes incorporated into our code base, ugh.  Something for us to look at, Bruno!  This thread's a timely reminder ...
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK ... this will be redundant for those of you getting e-mail alerts, but I've incorporated Bruno's HTML fixes into the CVS tree.

Also Scott, others have tackled bad HTML in other isolated cases where they've found it.  Feel free to submit bug reports and patches for code that emits sloppy or broken HTML.

Collapse
Posted by Scott Mc Williams on
Hi Don,

Thanks! I can do THAT! :) I'm glad to see that it IS a subject we've been concerned about. I'm off to read Bruno's thread now.

Scott

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK ... Bruno mostly fixed a bunch of stuff like:
< tag foo = bar >
to the proper form
< tag foo = "bar" >
That's not all he did, but it's probably the most common incorrectness in the generated HTML from the templates package, at least.