Forum OpenACS Development: How many and who is writing install guides?

I am aware of around four or five people who have either expressed interest in writing or are currently writing install guides for OpenACS 4. I am also aware that there is little to none coordination among these people.

If you are writing one or have begun taking notes for improving the current install guide, can you please post a message to this thread describing:

• What level of developer you are writing the guide for
  • What operating system you are writing it for
  • How detailed the guide is
  • Is it from scratch or are you using Vinod or Gilbert's guide
  • How much have you finished so far
Thanks

talli

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Vinod is busy on a new installation guide, a "best of" Vinod's and Gilbert's past efforts.  Anyone else interested in installation guides should get in contact with Vinod ASAP.
I'm willing to be a tester, especially using an Oracle backend.
Collapse
Posted by Tapiwa Sibanda on
I have kinda documented my install on RedHat 7.2 for the absolute beginner. This includes basic overview of RedHat install and also where to find *all* the files required for the install. There are also a couple of gotchas with the standard RH7.2 including the LANG=C settings.

I will polish it off this weekend or early next week, and make it available for all. I have strong windows/dos background (there goes the street cred!), and kinda played around with Linux in the RH 5&6 days. I borrowed heavily from Vinod, the official install guide and the forums.

What I want to do is have a step by step for someone with little or no knowledge of both *nix* and webservers to install openacs. It will be really dumbed down, but hopefully will lower the threshold for entry into the openACS club.

Collapse
Posted by David Geilhufe on
I am interested in the beginner's guide-- similar to the one AD did which was a step by keystroke guide... any literate monkey could install OACS and get a basic set up running.

Tall- Can you provide links to Vinod's and Gilbert's guides so that we all know what you are referring to?

I have completed the RH 7.2 part of the guide. See here in MS Word (http://www.geilhufe.com/files/OACS-beginners-install.doc)

In answer to Talli's questions:
1. Not writing for developers.
2. OS: RH 7.2; DB PG 7.1 rpms
3. The guide is very detailed, step-by-step
4. Writing from original AD guide and everything found in new-file-storage
5. Done-- see link above.

I will finish the guide after coodinating with folks and then re-write the thing in docbook.

david

Collapse
Posted by Ken Kennedy on
Both Gilbert's and Vinod's guides are in File Storage:

Vinod: https://openacs.org/new-file-storage/one-file?file_id=114

Gilbert: (actually a link): https://openacs.org/new-file-storage/one-file?file_id=208

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Vinod's already nearly got his new install guide nearly completed and ready for review, so again I'd urge anyone interested in documentation to contact Roberto and Vinod directly to see where help's most urgently needed.

I'm worried we're going to end up with a half-dozen good installation guides not much else if people don't coordinate.

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
I'm taking notes for contributing to the guide(s). I'm installing OACS4.x with Postgres on SuSE6.4. Since I haven't previously worked with OACS3.x, I'm hoping to fill in some difficult-to-find [from my perspective anyway] gaps of info that's implicit from experience etc. from first install to adding new modules...  I hope to start working on new modules before 2002 Q2 (laughing)