Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #133: Change "bio" from being generic storage in "person" to type-specific storage in "user".

I was kinda hoping to engender that global argument, Don :) I guess I didn't do a good enough job of stirring things up.

Don and I chatted about this offline and yes, there are multiple instances of developers adding columns in the wrong place (it appears 'users' has become the dumping ground for *anything* related to parties, even for data that relates to columns stored at other levels in the type hierarchy like, say, email). Don clarified one misconception I had about the person type per Lars' (author) intent, which was apparently for it to be a place to hold minimal amount of data on parties that are not yet full-blown users. With portrait and bio hanging off that type, it seemed to me that it was more like the place to hang non-account related attributes. I kind of liked that way of looking at it but, well, as Don pointed out, the whole situation is a little messy and has been muddied by developers over the years.

Anybody have strong (uh... or any) feelings on the matter?

Oh yeah, approved :)