Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #134: Change default value for RichTextEditor param in acs-templating

The whole discussion boils down to the question: Are the people arguing for making tinymce default are capable/willing to address the various issues and are they capable/willing to take responsibility for tinymce support in a similar way as there is support for xinha, or not. Supporting an additional editor will increase the maintenance work...
TinyMCE has been supported for some time now, Gustaf.

This TIP doesn't change that.

Please stop arguing against something that isn't part of the TIP to justify voting against the TIP.

Maybe we don't share the same definition of "support". Yes, it is included since a while in OpenACS, but is it supported? If something is default, it should work out of the box and it should be documented how to use it (check the issues above). If people vote for making it default, they either don't care or they don't know about these issues. I would not have brought up maintenance, if there would have been any posting that someone address these.

Just another example, where this impression comes from: the default browser should work with ie8. I tried to figure out, what version of tinymce is in the 5-5 branch. Your posting in the release notes of OpenACS 5.5a1 says 3.1.1, the changelog in the version in the oacs-5-5 branch says 2.13, the .js source file there says 3.2.2.3, while the currently released version is 3.2.4.1 (a few weeks old, why we do not use this one?). Now, try to figure out, whether IE8 works with the included version.

Anyhow, i have spent already too much time on these issues. These are not part of the tip, but necessary to make the decision.

Maybe we don't share the same definition of "support". Yes, it is included since a while in OpenACS, but is it supported?
Maybe you should go to more OCT meetings and take your membership seriously.

Yes, it's supported.

As far as problems go, Daveb is supporting TinyMCE, he's following the thread, and I'm sure he'll fix whatever issues come up.

As far as the version number goes, I got that from Daveb, he can correct it, if it's wrong.

As far as the issue of support goes, we've been discussing TinyMCE and the possibility of making it the default for what seems like forever at our weekly OCT meetings. Really, for OCT members to drop in at the last minute asking "do we support TinyMCE", ignorant of such a basic decision made long ago and discussed often, is just wrong. To veto something at the end while not playing a role in the ongoing decision-making process, is just wrong. To argue that the TIP should be voted down because of a false notion that it will require one to stop using xinha is just wrong.