It's been awhile since I've been around. Had to duck out because of a
new baby and work. It's really nice to see how OpenACS 4 development
and the community are propering!

There's a strong possibility that my company will be involved in an
OpenACS 4 based project very soon. I'd like to post a call for
interest kind of ad, but don't know if I should do so here, and don't
know of an alternate place to do so. Is it OK for me to go ahead and
post something? If so, perhaps Ben or Don might want to create a new
category or forum area for this kind of stuff to be posted to?

...Edmund.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
IMO it is perfectly reasonable to post such an ad here.  We've had "help  wanted" type ads here in the past.

When we finally get the new, OpenACS 4-based website up (finally possible due to various performance improvements in the PG version, but now everyone involved seem to be busy with other stuff) maybe we can have an ad section.  ETP would make it easy to implement such a thing, I believe.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
As far as the new website, there is already a section in the "Community and Forums" area for job ads. I think that we can use a modified FAQ application to add jobs.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Edmund Lian on
Talli, are you saying I should post to the new website? If so, what's the URL? If not, I'll post later.
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Edmund, the new site isn't live yet and we haven't built the feature you would need. So I guess the answer to your question is "no for now". But the URL for the new site is http://openacs.museatech.net.

As Don mentioned, though, these bboards are appropriate for the current incarnation of the site.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Edmund Lian on
OK, thanks Talli (and Don). Here's my post... Apologies for the vagueness; we signed an NDA so I can't say more even though I want to.

A client in the Washington, D.C. area wants to build a site that requires functionality that looks like it is a good match for OpenACS. Future plans may require integration with video servers, Jabber or some other IM chat system, OpenFTS, etc.

We are now developing a rough project plan, and if things go well, should have a signed contract within 2-3 weeks. Work could start as soon as two weeks from now. The project is going to be fluid, meaning that goals and details may change during the course of the project.

We're looking for someone who is experienced with OpenACS 4, PostgreSQL, etc. to execute most of the development work. The fluid nature of the work implies that frequent interaction with the client may be needed. We think that working with someone who is in the local metropolitan D.C. area will be easiest, but we don't mind working with a remotely located developer if we can figure out a way to do so effectively.

We're trying support the community by seeding out the work and also making the code available if it we can.

If you are interested in this, please email me directly so that I know of your interest. Don't forget to include your telephone number, credentials and an indicator billing rate. I will acknowledge, and will keep you informed as to progress and a selection decision.

If the client goes ahead (and we have every expectation that this is the case), we will have to execute an NDA with you before bringing you up to speed with the client situation.