Forum OpenACS Q&A: Usability: Listbuilder

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I had the pleasure of working with the listbuilder a lot and I wondered if there are ideas out there to improve the usability of the system.

The current functionality allows you to create a paginated table that can be filtered and sorted. The selections for the filters is awkward at best, but this is something that could be changed by a new template. But how should this template look like?

I had been thinking about select boxes for each filter (instead of the current links) and allow multiple selections (so you could get a table of all users from Germany and France instead of either or).

Furthermore, I thought about a group by / collapse functionality that allows you to group the entries by a certain column and collapse the whole columns displaying only the first one per entry. To stay in my example above, this would mean that you would only see the first user from Germany and the first user from France, with a small arrow in front, allowing you to view all users of France or Germany if you click on it.

Are any of the ideas useful?

Collapse
2: Re: Usability: Listbuilder (response to 1)
Posted by Guan Yang on

To stay in my example above, this would mean that you would only see the first user from Germany and the first user from France, with a small arrow in front, allowing you to view all users of France or Germany if you click on it.

Alternatively, if your list displays numbers, the user would see summary or average information when he collapses a country.