Forum OpenACS Development: Response to OACS installation sequence change

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Gilbert, thanks for the dependency hierarchy. It helps clarify the sequence for me. I'll meditate on the implications on the docs in a few hours...

Don, you are right! Installation scripts are complex. I get dizzy just looking at installation script output.

Stephen, organizing scripts in order of installation dependency will help modularize any scripting process, and therefore reduce overall complexity --when we get to a stable release. As Don points out, this will make creating RPM versions easier (hopefully).  The modularization might even help scripts (and their programmers) adapt to handling various stages of installation status --as what happens when people like me install PosgresQL and TCL straight off the linux distribution --not realizing that it's easier to leave them off, and follow the OACS installation docs for relevant software. And so, as you point out, Stephen, "ideally the knowledge.. [will] be locked up in some build scripts, and OACS [admins} and users alike will be save a lot of trouble."

In any case, organizing installation (and documentation) in order of dependency will help with the installation experience --which is my focus for the moment.

Thanks everyone for your input.

cheers,