Forum .LRN Q&A: OpenACS/.LRN Conference_______Costa Rica 2009

The next OpenACS and .LRN Conference for 2009 is organized by the Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica, at Cartago city, from 3 - 6 November 2009.

The eLearning and Open Source activity will be held on Tuesday, 3 November and its open for external users. The purpose of this day activity is to exchange experiencies and explore applications in the field of online engineering.

This is also a call for abstracts (max 150 words) for presentations, demos, posters and workshops. All abstracts should be sent to (send mail)

Visit the Conference site at http://www.tec-digital.itcr.ac.cr/conferencia-dotlrn-2009

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Cristina Arias on

The call for papers is now OPEN.

August 30th, 2009: Submissions of proposals for Abstracts for Presentations and Posters (min 150 words).

September 24th, 2009: Notification of Acceptance abstracts.

October 5th, 2009: Versions of papers (6 pages Springer style).

November 3th - 6th, 2009: OpenACS /.LRN Conference.

November 3th, 2009: Free and Open Source Software Conference for Higher Education. (it is necessary registration)

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Christina,

A comment about the abstracts submission deadline, most of the people here in Europe are on vacation during august so I think we should delay this deadline until sept 10th. This way people would have time to come back from their vacation, write something and submit it.

Another question: is there a mailing list for the program committee members?

Thank you.

Collapse

Hi Emmanuelle,

The modification of the submission deadline is done, I'm just watting for a few details to do the site update.

For a while I'm going to post the updated dates

<div class = "texto-contenido">
<h1> Dates</h1>

The call for papers is now OPEN.

<table width="814" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="10">
<tr>
<td width="651"><div align="left"><span class="conTab">Submissions of proposals for Abstracts for Presentations and Posters (min 150 words)</span></div></td>
<td width="121"><div align="left">15th September</div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><div align="left"><span class="conTab">Notification of accepted abstracts</span></div></td>
<td><div align="left">30th September</div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><div align="left"><span class="conTab">Versions of papers (6 pages Springer style)</span></div></td>
<td><div align="left">5th October</div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><div align="left"><span class="conTab">OpenACS /.LRN Conference</span></div></td>
<td><div align="left">3 - 6 November</div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><div align="left"><span class="conTab">Elearning and Open Source day Conference. (registration is necessary)</span></div></td>
<td><div align="left">3th November</div></td>
</tr>
</table>

</div>

The possible program committe would be:

<div class = "texto-contenido">
<h1> Program Committe</h1>

Mario Chac&oacute;n Rivas

Don Baccus

Emamnuelle Raffence

Rafael Pastor Vargas

Rocael Hern&aacute;ndez

Stefan Sobernig

Timothy Read

V&iacute;ctor Guerra

I didn't update the web site yet, because I'm watting for a few details.

Another important clarification of the Conference is:

1. The fisrt day (3th november) would be the Elearning and OpenSource Conference (we are working on the elearning and opensource conference site)

2. The OpenACS and .LRN Conference would be from 4th to 5th november. After there's and optional tour to San Carlos to visit the Arenal Volcano (from 5th noon to 6th ). http://www.arenal.net/photo-gallery.htm .

&nbsp;

</div>
Hi Cristina,

I was invited by Alvaro and Rocael to be part of the 8th OpenACS/.LRN Conference: Program Committee (in particular, chair of the Evaluation commitee of the conference), and I accepted 😊. So I guess my name (Olga C. Santos) should be in that list, too.

When the website is ready, I can disseminate the conference in several mailing lists, as well as review the submissions received, as I've done in past editions of this and other conferences. I'm happy to help!

Thanks.

Olga

Collapse
Hi Critina,

My first and last names are misspelled. The right spelling is: Emmanuelle Raffenne.

Thank you.

Collapse
Hi,

The Conference site is now updated!!!
Apologies for any inconvenient.

http://www.tec-digital.itcr.ac.cr/conferencia-dotlrn-2009/

Thanks

Collapse
Hi Cristina,

I'm still confused. The page you point to says that the conference will be <q>from 3 - 6 November 2009</q>, however at the end of the text (and at the Program page), it says that the conference ends on thursday 5 november with an optional tour to the Arenal Volcano after lunch.

Is there any activity scheduled on friday 6 november?

Sorry to insist but it's important for booking flights and hotel.

Thank you.

Collapse
Hi Emmanuelle,

The Arenal Volcano is about 4 hours far from Cartago (Where the OpenACS and .LRN Conference takes place). According to the plans we are going to stay there from 5 at nigth thru 6 at after lunch then we come back to Cartago. So around 6 pm on 6th Friday November the bus will across the center of the country (will be at the airport Juan Santamaría, Alajuela) so I suggest you to reserve in a Hotel around the airport and plan your flight on Saturday or Friday night.

I will specify more the tour on the web site.

If you have any questions be free of asking, I'm glad of help.

Collapse
Cristina,

Thank you for your answer. Everything is clear now.

That trip to the volcano sounds very nice 😊. Thanks for organizing it.

Hi Cristina,

I've been browising the conference website. I've found some inconsistences in the content of the 'Submission of the Papers' section which I think should be updated to avoid confusion among potential participants, such as:
-"selection of works will be performed by the members of the Scientific Committee for the 2009 Edutec"
-Are we doing an anoynimous reviewing process? I'm ok with it, but we should make it clear in the CFP
-Work will be accepted in Spanish?
-Guidelines. In the CFP it is stated to follow Springer guidelines (http://www.springer.com/computer/lncs?SGWID=0-164-7-72376-0). Here, it specifies a different format:
Papers should be set to A4 size, single column, with 3.5 cm top margin, bottom margin of 2.5 cm, 3.0 cm lateral margin, with the head and skirtings. The source must be Garamond, size 12, single space, with areas of 6 points between paragraphs, not pages should be numbered, the title of the work must also be in the same source, but in size 16, bold.
-Summary - approximately 200 words, while in the CFP it says 150

Moreover, I also suggest to prepare a textual description of the conference (in plain text).

Hope you find these comments useful.

Olga

Hi,

I've just emailed some mailing lists focus on e-learning to disseminate the conference with the following content:

OpenACS/.LRN conference: e-learning and open source engineering software
Organized by the Costa Rica Institute of Technology, at Cartago city (Costa Rica)
November, 3 - 6 November 2009.

The conference is the 8th of a series which focuses on the development of community based web sites (primarily built with the OpenACS framework) and on community based e-learning environments (primarily built with the dotLRN framework). The conference offers multiple activities for users and developers of the framework as well as for
people interested in the mentioned topics in general.

The call for papers is now open, the important dates are:
-Sep. 15, 2009: Submission of Abstracts proposals for Presentations
and Posters (max 150 words)
-Sep. 30, 2009: Notification of accepted abstracts
-Oct. 5, 2009: Camera-ready versions of papers (6 pages Springer style)

For more information visit:
http://www.tec-digital.itcr.ac.cr/conferencia-dotlrn-2009/

Collapse
Hi, The OpenACS and .LRN Conference 2009, the process registration is now open ...

Visit the Conference site at http://www.tec-digital.itcr.ac.cr/conferencia-dotlrn-2009

And go to the "REGISTER NOW" link

Thanks

Collapse
The date of the Submissions of proposals for Abstracts for Presentations and Posters have been changed!!!

Submissions of proposals for Abstracts for Presentations and Posters (min 150 words) 22th September

Notification of accepted abstracts 30th September

Versions of papers (6 pages Springer style) 5th October
OpenACS /.LRN Conference 3 - 6 November

eLearning and Open Source Conference. (registration is necessary) 3th November

Collapse
Hi,

I need to have some information about your conference registration.

1. Are you going to attend to the conference?($200)
2. Do you have plans to take the Arenal Volcano trip?(about $100)(I will send the trip details later)(some of the information are in the home page
www.tec-digital.itcr.ac.cr/conferencia-dotlrn-2009 )

3. Do you know if someone else out of this list is going to come to CR to the Conference(Who)?

All this Questions are because I need to know how many spaces we are specting to the Conference
and also I need to know Who's are going to attend to the conference.

Regards

Cristina

Collapse
Posted by Avni Khatri on
Is it possible to pay in cash at the conference? I am not comfortable sending my CC# or bank #s over fax.