Forum OpenACS Q&A: How do I kill a WYSIWIG?

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
As much as people like those square little wysiwigs that have popped up in the upgraded versions of OpenACS that I work and play in I do not want to be bothered by them. I prefer enhanced text or html.

Others like the little suckers so I do not want to exterminate them with my amazing site-wide powers (I just want a workspace where they can not get to me).

Am I missing the button or drop down to get rid of them?

I must be missing something... I am sure I am not alone in my dislike of those dirty little squares.

Carl

P.S. I also find it irritating that they keep telling me that they might not work, because they do not like my browser. They should just buzz off if they do not like my browser.

Collapse
Where is the code that is letting these little suckers out? I would like to find out who added this in cvs without giving options to turn it off and discuss it with them (I just discovered that the little devils break copy paste so I can not even use my favorite editor to get past this for now). Ad_form? So far I have found them in the UI of forums and ticket tracker. They are included in the newest version of .LRN as well (did this person think of the people who might not be able to see/use the ugly little wysiwigs due to visual problems and do not use "standard" browsers?).
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Carl,

HTMLarea has been removed from OpenACS, but replaced with RTE which just works better, so in OpenACS 5.2 we have a better option.

There is no way to turn off the rich text editor per user. I think you are asking for a way for the user to choose what editing interface they want.

In fact, OpenACS has a huge shortcoming in that there is no centralized way to store user preferences at all.

AFAIK HTMLarea or RTE should just disappear if your browser does not support it. Which browser are you using? I am suspecting Safari which incorrectly claims to support the rich text editing features. RTE (coming on OpenACS 5.2) correctly detects Safari and does not appear.

Collapse
I am using Safari and it kind of works, but not really.

One of the use cases for the assessment package was a generalized way to store user data so this should not be to hard to add (considering this is how custom site wide registration data can be collected as it stands in head if assessment is installed).

BTW the WYSIWIG is throwing these annoying little javascript pop-ups that say something like: "I see you are using Mozilla < 1.3, this might not work but I will try it anyway" I keep looking for some way to tell he/she/it that they are very annoying.

Where do I kill the WYSIWIG site wide. I am going to remove them from sites I am involved with.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Carl,

The errors you are seeing and probably due to HTMLarea which is deprecated in favor of RTE which will be in OpenACS 5.2.

To turn off the rich html editor set the
UseHtmlAreaForRichtextP
parameter in ACS Templating to 0.

It is set this way on OpenACS.org for example, and you get the regular textarea.

Collapse
UseHtmlAreaForRichtextP is set to 0 on dotlrn.org and the WYSIWIGs are still around (e.g. static-portlets). Strange.
Collapse
Posted by Matthew Coupe on
Any idea how I can turn on WYSIWYG for XOwiki but turn it off for Forums? I'm looking at the code for forums and it doesn't seem too obvious what to do?

Cheers