Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Fatal: received fatal signal 11 - new error after years!

Matthew, to re-emphasize something Gustaf already mentioned: Look at your AOLserver core file with gdb. Get the backtrace and see what function it crashed in. This may or may not be useful, but it's essentially always one of the first things to check when any program crashes. I would typically check that well before much of the other stuff you've been digging into.
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies,

I would like to look into this, however, I have never used gdb before and have no idea where the AOLserver core dump file is located?

Could you provide any further info on how to do this?

Thanks,

Andy

The core dumps can be activated/deactivated via "ulimit" (if you use bash). Try ulimit -a on your system. Most likely, you will see a "core file size" of 0, which means "please, no core dumps"; set it to "unlimited" in the shell script, where you start the server. Then restart the server and you will get a core dump in the directory, where the scripts runs (on doubts, do in the script a "cd SOMEPATH" before invoking nsd). Once you have the core file, check the link provided earlier how to analyze the core dump using gdb.