Forum OpenACS Development: more about status...

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
I read the thread originally posted by Don about the status of
OpenACS 4.0...

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?
msg_id=0003lo&topic_id=12&topic=OpenACS%204%2e0%20Design

1.) Could somebody give an update on the testing of packages? Which
packages run without difficulties, which need bug fixes, which will
be thrown out or completely rewritten (i.e. for DotLRN)?

2.) On the other hand it would be nice to see what kind of work will
have to be done in order to lift the upcoming beta to a release?

3.) Should the testers test on PG 7.2 as it is out now (Neophytous
was talking about some bug, but it supposingly only concerns the
OpenFTS package...)?

4.) What kind of tasks still need volunteers... In my eyes it *looks*
like the OpenACS movement is gaining momentum user-wise, but not
equally contribution-wise... We might want to get a little more todo-
awareness into the game!

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Docs are nearing their beta release level, i.e. incomplete but at least with good installation stuff.  Vinod did a bunch of editing and committed changes on Feb 1, and generated HTML files and committed them on Feb 4 (we're going to distribute the derived HTML as well as source XML files since getting Docbooks XML up is a bit of a PITA).

That's really been the big hang-up for weeks.  I and others have been steadily fixing bugs but that could go on forever, obviously it's a lot less buggy than ACS 4.2 Classic.  If it weren't for documentation I would've been ready to trot out a beta by Christmas.

The organized testing effort has fizzled to some degree, just as development work has on the project per se.

OpenMSG has been busy with paid work, so that's cut their ability to put in time temporarily.  I've been doing paid work, too.  InfiniteInfo, who did a couple of rapid ports awhile back (the adserver exists now, BTW, I do need to edit that status page), is also happily working on paid client stuff at the moment.  Neophytos has gotten reallly busy with school.

And on and on and on.

I think this ebb-and-flow characteristic of our progress will be a fact of life for the time being.

On the other hand ... I've been receiving a steady stream of patch alerts from the SDM, as people find and fix minor bugs.  Thanks, everyone!  I've been sitting on them and intend to sit down soon (next week sometime), study, and apply them all in one long session.

With docs done and bug fixes applied I think we'll be ready to roll.