Forum OpenACS Q&A: Quest computing, Dublin, Ireland looking for *ACS talent (or just talent)

Hi,
We're looking for people at the moment to work on our ACS 3.x and openacs projects. I thought post here to see who's available. The company is Quest computing our new site is going live any day (really!). We have been working with ACS 3.x for 2 years and are starting out first project with openACS now. Some of our recent stuff:
  • Best Advice
  • Xtender
  • Some intranets for government type people (SHH!)
  • I'm just curious, how do you pronounce the name, Ciaran De Buitlear.
    I love the sound and spelling of Irish names!
    It's really Ciarán De Buitléar (that's with an irish fada - like the french grave on the a and the e but that doesn't come out right!)

kee rawn
    duh
    butt lehr

(I've probably heard all the jokes by now!)

You know, openacs/bboard is readable not because of the valuable technical points, nor the amusing ACS/OACS ("oaks") infighting, nor the valuable directions for beer lovers. It's these dream job posts that make it worthwhile.

Hack OACS in Dublin! Bike around the Breasts of Dedanna! Hide in the "Badger Cave" below Blarney Castle and bite tourists! Form cogent philosophic summaries of the world by observing Irish sheep! Run in fear from the world's most vicious women! Be deported for endangering the Guinness supply!

God, I miss that.

Ciaran, is Ireland still handing out those ancestry based work visas like candy?

Damn! I was afraid Todd would get to this one before me.

/me heads to the fridge to wallow in his bottled guinness

Collapse
    6: visas (response to 1)
    Posted by Ciaran De Buitlear on
    I think it's fairly easy for someone to get an Irish work visa in the IT field.  I'm not sure about the ancestry bit.  I can look into this if anyone's really interested.
    I'm a U.S. citizen working in Dublin. Non-EEA nationals need a work permit - the employer is responsible for submitting the paperwork. The permit has to be approved by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment before you can start working, and you must have the original form with you when you enter the country - not a reproduction. It took about 8-10 weeks for my application to be processed; I've heard that's typical.

I haven't heard of ancestry-based work visas, but I'm certainly not an expert on this subject. I believe foreign students in Irish universities can get a 4-month work permit or something.

Dublin is a terrific city. Maybe we can host our own OpenACS social some day!

Permanent or contract? I'm a Dubliner in exile so work visa is not a
    problem.
    I'd say we'd be more interested in permanent employees.  We don't really have a culture of employing contractors (although it has happened once or twice).  I'm talking to the directors about resources later in the week so I will have a better idea then.