Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on RedHat 7.2

Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Just following up to this...
I mailed my comments and tweaks to Bruno and he recommended I post them here. So here they are (with his responses):

On Mon, 04 Feb 2002, Brian Fenton wrote:

> 1. You say:
> "Use a text editor to edit the shell-mods.sh file in the /etc directory. You
> can download a prototype of the shell-mods.sh.txt file". You provide a link
> to the file.
>
> But then further down, you say:
> "Add the following lines to /etc/shell-mods.sh:"
>
> Some of the values you give for the variables are different from the ones in
> the shell-mods.sh.txt file. For example, the PATH variable has an extra
> $ORACLE_HOME/ctx/lib:. in the file. Some of the other variables are
> different too.
>
> Also, it might be a good idea to comment out the following line in the file
> because it's not needed until after the install:
> export NLS_LANG=NLS_LANG_V

Yes, the '/etc/shell-mods.sh' part is not very clear, and I go back several
times over that file. I should limit the mention of the content of it to
only one time!

> 2. The next one isn't incorrect, but I stupidly missed it. It might be a
> good idea to make it more explicit for stupid readers like me! You correctly
> mention that the runInstaller script is located in install/linux on the
> cd-rom. However, between that and telling the reader to actually run the
> program, you  mention a few other things about the compat files and glibc
> etc. - in the mean-time of course, the stupid reader (me!) has forgotten to
> go the install/linux directory and instead runs the runInstaller from the
> root of the CD. I think it would be helpful to remind again about the path
> where you say the following:
> "Now we are ready to run the installer of Oracle.
> $ ./runInstaller"

True!!! It's a VERY important information that gets lost in the amount of text.
This is very good! Thanks!

> 3. This next one was a problem for me. After the Summary screen in the OUI,
> the user is asked to run root.sh. The first thing I noticed is that you tell
> the user to do an "su -" to change to root. I think maybe it should be just
> an "su" with no "-" because you want to keep the Oracle user's settings.
> Otherwise the SID is not set in root's environment etc.

Yes, you are right ... The fact is that I also have the same env set for root
(pointing to shell-mods.sh) but that is only my personal settings and not
the recommended one. This is also a very good comment!

> 4. More importantly than that, I found that the root.sh script I had was
> broken! I got the following error:
>
> Running Oracle8 root.sh script...
> ./root.sh: command substitution: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for
> matching `''
> ./root.sh: command substitution: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of
> file
> ./root.sh: [: !=: unary operator expected
>
The following environment variables are set as:
>    ORACLE_OWNER= oracle
>    ORACLE_HOME=  /apps/oracle/product/8.1.7
>    ORACLE_SID=  acs817
>
> I fixed this by downloading a correct version of root.sh from
> http://www.pawprint.net/linux/root.sh and editing the ORACLE_HOME value
> (twice) in that script.
>
> Of course, you have to keep the Installer window open during all this
> downloading and editing!
>
> It's interesting that you never got this error...

I will replace the root.sh file then... I am not sure why that one is broken (the
one you get from the site). Damned! I see ... in previous revisions of the docs
I have a link to download a different version of the root.sh ... I don't know why
I stupidely deleted that! Thanks!

> 5. The next problem I had was a real bummer and it was really a miracle that
> got me out of it! It was during the Listener Configuration. I selected No
> and suddenly the program hung on me. Thinking it was doing something I left
> it for 30 minutes and came back and it was still hanging. I nearly cried
> after having gotten so far in the install! For some reason, I decided to
> check what processes were running on the machine, one caught my eye: the
> listener process. For no reason, I decided to type "lsnrctl stop" (logged in
> as oracle) which is the command to stop the listener. Immediately, the
> installer program stopped hanging and returned to me! As I said, a miracle.
> I was then able to continue on with my install. Whew!

This should go in the troubleshooting section since I had that same problem once
while installing on RedHat 7.1 but I couldn't reproduce it anymore ... Don't know
why ... This also good advice.

Thanks a lot!!!