Forum OpenACS Q&A: Problem installing packages OpenACS under Windows

I've installed OpenACS on a Windows XP platform as part of the Project/Open package (www.project-open.org). The Project/Open installer also installs the CygWin package for running the PostgreSQL database system (a non-native Windows version) and other Unix programs needed for P/O.

I have a problem trying to install additional packages from the OpenACS repository though.

Whenever I go to /acs-admin/apm/package-load page and select a local package for installation, the system complains with the following message:

============== snippet

Accessing C:/Software/Transmit/Project Open/intranet-translation-3.0.0.0.3.apm...

The follow error occured during the uncompression process:

couldn't execute "gunzip.exe": no such file or directory

The package(s) are now extracted into your filesystem. You can load another new package from a URL or proceed to install the package(s).

===============

gunzip.exe is indeed located in one of the directories the OpenACS platforms looks into. I even tried to hardcode the location under acs-tcl/tcl/apm-file-procs.tcl, but it didn't work.

Has any of you had experienced the same problem with a Windows install of OpenACS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

Collapse
Posted by Frank Bergmann on
Hi Michael,

that seems to be an issue with the setup of the CygWin environment by the Windows installer. There are two options:

1. Try to work around. Download the APM file (which is really just a .tgz") and extract manually (WinZip will do) into a suitable directory under /packages/.

2. Post the bug in the Project/Open bug tracker and wait unil we've fixed it ... 😊

Bests,
Frank