Forum OpenACS Q&A: WebDAV Issues

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I started to use WebDAV under OS X Panther and got so many problems right from the start that I was wondering if this is only me or if WebDAV is in serious need for repair.
  • It is not possible to rename a folder
  • It is not possible to open a Word Document from the WebDAV location, edit it and save it again. You have to safe it to your local harddisk and then copy it over using Finder.
  • If you copy a file over an existing file the old revision is deleted (set to 0 bytes)
  • WebDAV uses the cr name instead of cr title for displaying the folder name. This makes it inconsistent with file storage display.
  • Not sure if this is only my Mac, but for each File I upload I get an additional "._$file_name" content item.
  • Some OSs have the annoying habit of storing additional folders and files. Maybe we could hide them from display in file-storage and/or WebDAV? This is confusing for the users.
  • If you click on a link in WebDAV it disappears from the display in WebDAV immediately afterwards. Luckily it is not deleted for real on the server. We should either hide Links or make them work correctly in the major OS (Windows, OS X, Linux).
Is it only me / an "OS X" problem? If not how are people using WebDAV in their organizations? Is anyone going to work on it?
Collapse
2: Re: WebDAV Issues (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Malte,

I know the OS X Finder client has issues with WebDAV.

That said there is a newer version of tDAV that has better client support, but needs signifigant work to integrate with OpenACS.

Regarding folder name, your client uses the filename instead of the displayname (no client really supports displayname).

Renaming a folder should work. It works from Windows clients and cadaver at least.

There isn't any consistent way to know what files or folders are hidden, sorry, client inconsistencies.