Forum .LRN Q&A: Proposal to update leadership team membership

The .LRN leadership team membership is very out of date.
http://dotlrn.org/about/leadership/

Many of the members are not able to attend meetings or contribute.

The membership should be updated to include those who can actively contribute and regularly attend meetings.

For about the past year, maybe more, the only regular meeting attendees have been Emmanuelle, Don, and myself. Occasionally some others will attend meetings also. Most decisions about the release process have been made by those three members.

Others also attend meetings but are not members of the team.

So I suggest the .LRN Board should nonimate a new leadership team, possibly with fewer members who have the time to contribute and are currently working with .LRN.

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
It would be great if these nominations came from the community and the actual selection was made by the leadership team and/or board. Sound like a plan?
Collapse
Posted by Michael Cordova on
What is exactly the goal of the Leadership Team?

I'd like to be more integrated with the community, not sure if my place is the Leadership Team (maybe not since I'm a developer)

I'm currently working with OpenACS and .LRN in a production server. I have some improvements for .LRN... some are actually working, some are in development, and some others are only proposals. Although, I'm used to not having a reply to some of my forum messages. Some of them asking for permission to commit changes or proposals. So, I'm not sure how can I contribute.

I do my best to keep on up to date, but it's not easy since there is no irc log, and I have no other emails alias... for instance, I was in the OCT for 6 months, hoping it would give me more access to more information of releases, new features, and so on, but it took me 6 months to be added to the oct mail list... so a week after that, I was no re-elected. BTW, I wrote a few OCT minutes, but now there is nobody doing that.

I'd like to became an active committer, and a happier OACS user/developer. Can the Leadership Team help me to achieve that?

Collapse
Posted by Avni Khatri on
I agree with Dave's comment to an extent.
I am one of the people who hasn't been regularly attending meetings.

When I do attend meetings, I feel like I am completely removed from the topic at hand am not sure how to contribute / respond. (Maybe because I don't actively develop in .lrn?)

I am wondering if it would help to define a concrete set of tasks/items that are expected of Leadership Team Members and say that members are required to do at least X of them?

I also feel out of place when attending a meeting, it hasn't been always like that but is the way I feel now.

There's a problem with irc meetings at least in my case, it's not something I get paid to do and lately I have been pretty short in time for things I don't get paid for doing, so I just pop in whenever I'm around at the time of the meetings. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want to get paid for attending meetings, but maybe you shouldn't expect too much on people with a lot of different things to do.

While I like the idea of the IRC meetings I think the bulk of discussion and decission making should go to the forums and the honchos list in the rare cases in which is better to keep it private. Having stated this I don't feel you should drop members for not attending irc meetings. What I think this community needs is not less members involved in decission making, is encouraging people to participate, and to do so we should encourage people to commit their works, I think 5.5 is a big step forward for that, but right now both core and leadership team seem close groups from the outside, we should fix that or the current situation won't change.

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
I'm agree about moving discussions to forums. IRC has been an obstacle for OpenACS and dotLRN development at times, because of significant absences during meetings and other threading issues. Not everyone can connect during a particular scheduled duration, and IRC does not promote thoughtful/thorough responses within the contextual time frame. IRC is also biased toward developer participation instead of the greater community. Forums/email are ubiquitous; and these forums are very responsive to hosting productive threads over a few hours or day.
And maybe another good idea would be to drop both lists and create a private subsite/community so that people could check discussions more easily and if you have been elected as a new member you can check what has been going on in the last months.
Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Dave,

Thank you for your post. I agree 100%.

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi all,

Just want to point out that IRC meetings are necessary. I don't think having those meetings or using IRC for them are the problem. However, we definitely need to get the IRC logger back. Also, we fail at posting the minutes regularly and it's something we need to fix too.

Collapse
Posted by Alvaro Rodriguez on
Hi all,

I think a good idea would be to define the basic set of tasks for the Leadership Team members as Avni said, I can normally attend to the meetings even though most of the time I don't participate and I might also be able to help out in some of those tasks sometimes.

I haven't been doing the minutes on time lately, but if this would help I'll do my best to get the minutes published on time.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
A page like this might help communication:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Meetings

There is also a meeting IRC bot, I will try to find out about it.

Avni, Alvaro,

I agree also with the basic set of tasks. To my understanding, three of them are already defined:

- to be the "watchdog" of the dotlrn-all and dotlrn-extras packages code
- to make technical decisions regarding dotlrn-all and dotlrn-extras packages
- to participate in the release process

and a fourth one that is implied:

- to attend weekly dotlrn meetings

Collapse
Posted by Avni Khatri on
Dave -

I agree. I can make one for .LRN and OCT (if needed and okay).

Collapse
Posted by Avni Khatri on
Emmanuelle -

I agree completely with your post. I, too, think meetings are necessary
and don't believe IRC is a blocker for people attending meetings.

I also agree about getting the IRC logger back.

Perhaps having a logger along with the twiki Dave mentioned will help keep people more in tune to what is going on, what is being discussed at the meetings.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I found the .LRN one and made and OpenACS page.

https://openacs.org/xowiki/.LRN_Meetings

https://openacs.org/xowiki/OCT-Meetings

now we just need to update the agendas and minutes after we are done with each meeting.

Ok, right now the team is Emma, Dave & Don. So will be good to increase the team, have more active participation, and be able to do the tasks: https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=2959162

I nominate the following:
- Byron Linares, who's one of our lead developers at Galileo and as some of you know we are working towards increase our contribution and participation in the next .LRN releases.
- Alvaro Rodriguez, who has been working for quite a while with the .LRN Consortium.
- Miguel Angel Cordova, works at Innova/UNED, and have shown a lot of interest in contributing in the community.

Of course, please, you all three confirm that accept to be nominated (since I haven't talked with you about this =).

Also, if someone else wants to get involved, please do not hesitate to say so. What about Raul, are you going to continue?
Others?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Roc, no decision has been made AFAIK. We should first

1. decide (and announce any decision)

2. Post opening things up for nomination

3. THEN post your nominations

At minimum the board and leadership team needs to discuss some basic stuff, like how we'll decide (vote of those on the board and leadership team? board alone? ???).

Currently the leadership team is that set of people listed as such at dotlrn.org. Yes, we want to change it. As of yet, we haven't.

Ok, lets make first the decision, and if we end up having people to nominate, my nomination still stands.

What we need to do to make the decision?
I second Carls in that community nominate people.

To add more, here we have this: https://openacs.org/xowiki/.LRN_Governance

.LRN Leadership Team – A group of people decided on by the .LRN Board and Leadership Team. .LRN Leadership Team members do not have to be voting .LRN members.