Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Forums includelet.

Collapse
2: Re: Forums includelet. (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
includelet's aren't package instances, they're UI snippets that map an include script to a package instance such as forums. You manage them through the layout-managed-subsite admin pages.

Have you created a layout-managed-subsite instance, yet?

Or, if you want your root (/) subsite to be a layout-managed-subsite, have you gone to the admin page and converted that acs-subsite to a layout managed one?

In either case, once you have an unconfigured layout-managed-subsite instance created, visiting the subsite will redirect you to the configuration wizard (you must be admin to do this).

That will step you through various things, among them a page that lists applications and links to a page that allows you to create includelet instance mapped to the app (forums-includelet mapped to forums, etc).

This management/admin page replaces the .lrn applet stuff, which I chose to not re-implement.

Then you'll enter a page configuration page - it's very similar to the .LRN one.

There is some package documentation for layout-managed-subsite, though it's a bit sketchy. Go to your [host]/doc directory and you should see a link there.

Actually I'd love it if you'd look at that documentation and point out what's not clear since obviously, since I wrote the package, the documentation seems crystal clear to me since I already know how the package works!

Collapse
3: Re: Forums includelet. (response to 2)
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Don,

I have created the layout-managed-subsite and converted the 'Main' subsite. I have installed the includelets and have run through the wizard.

As admin I now have all my admin links shown as beautifully 3D shaded tabs. One observation is that by default the 'active' tab is blank until I click the tab link. Then it populates. Presumably there is a way to specify a default tab to be populated on arrival.

If I go to the site root at '/' I have a simple blank page. So I guess I have another stage of configuration to do.

I read all the documentation before I started. It is clear and concise, however I wasn't helped by the fact that I read the docs for both Layout-Managed-Subsites AND Layout-Subsite-Integration, and as a result was left a little confused as to their respective functions. I was left floundering in the terminology!

I will review the docs again knowing what I now know and will report back on progress (or lack of it!).

Thanks for all your help, and for a great development.

Richard