Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Forums includelet.

Collapse
9: Re: Forums includelet. (response to 8)
Posted by Don Baccus on
perhaps it would be better to recommend the Default OpenACS Tabbed theme

This won't generate tabs for layout managed pages, nor will it display includelets according to the layout chosen for the page (which is why it appears to "work" for you).

Also, the xowiki stuff might display properly on a page with a single column.

Really, content displayed in includelets shouldn't be further sub-divided by embedded HTML, because results are going to be hard to predict and may work or fail depending on the layout/theme selected for the page/portlet.

You could display a "cover page", if you will, in the xowiki that just has summary information then link to the full page (when displaying in a non-managed application page, you'll get the standard one-column layout that you see in an ordinary subsite using the default theme).

BTW, if all you want is a simple way to have editable text in an includelet, check out the "content-includelet". It provides a simple way to provide versioned HTML with the typical controls to set a particular version "live", to delete, edit, etc. It also provides a simple way to do variable interpolation (so you can grab stuff from the db and have it appear in the text). It's been very useful for me ...

Collapse
10: Re: Forums includelet. (response to 9)
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
"Really, content displayed in includelets shouldn't be further sub-divided by embedded HTML, because results are going to be hard to predict and may work or fail depending on the layout/theme selected for the page/portlet."

I agree, I was thinking the same. It could be very hard to predict the results with a complex theme, and even harder to troubleshoot. However, in principle it should be possible, certainly for a simple theme, as long as the various components are 'contained' in div blocks with robust css. So whilst it probably shouldn't be a major selling point, whatever is causing the problem should probably be ironed out.

When I have time I will try to work out what is going on.

I will try the simple content includelet, thankyou. The XoWiki includelet appears to be an includelet for admin functions only.

We are now lucky enough to have gone from having no options to having two ways to achieve includelet driven pages! Having this capability in acs-core feels good. Both Layout-Manager and XoWiki are fantastic tools. The trick will be to find the best ways to utilise them fully without creating a muddle. There is definitely more than enough rope now! 😊

All we need now is a fully CSS compliant Xinha that produces tidy output!

R.

Collapse
11: Re: Forums includelet. (response to 10)
Posted by Claudio Pasolini on
Richard wrote:
"The XoWiki includelet appears to be an includelet for admin functions only."

Actually the XoWiki admin includelet allows you to pick any xowiki page and to register it as an includelet that you can lay out as you like.

Cheers,
Claudio

Collapse
12: Re: Forums includelet. (response to 10)
Posted by Don Baccus on
All we need now is a fully CSS compliant Xinha that produces tidy output!

Have you tried TinyMCE? Supposedly it generates valid HTML.

Collapse
13: Re: Forums includelet. (response to 11)
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Oh, I see! Now I get it. Fantastic.

Thanks Claudio.