Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Open Developer Discussions

Collapse
Posted by Stephen . on
I'd like to see information posted to this bboard not so that it can be vetted or approved, but because it is valuable and we can learn from it.

It's sad to think that .LRN is unavailable because Ben was worried that community input and participation would slow his development process, that he was under some obligation to provide stable, bug free code from day one, and that it should come with a bug tracking tool and open access to his CVS repository.

I think the benefits of open source are realised at a much lower level of effort. Make the information available, things will happen. That's how we got started, some guy made the code behind his websites available. No obligation, no expectation, here it is, make of it what you will.

While appreciating your desire for a controlled, thoughtfull approach to making changes to the core OACS Don, what I want to avoid is the feeling that people can't kick around ideas in public, and that the only meaningful contribution that can be made requires a support team behind it.