Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: Add new "file" content type to acs-content-repository

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Ok, i went back to try to remember WHY i thought this was a good idea in the first place :)

On HUB at MGH we are using the saved list template feature quite a bit. This feature uses generic content_revision to save the state of the filters.

This appears to be the ONLY place that uses generic content reviisions that I can find.

So, if I fix this limited case to use a specific content type, that solves the problem of presenting a list of generic revisions. Preseumably the remaining generic revisions will be uploaded files.

Otherwise I don't have a better idea, it seems like this proposal is not approved of, but I don't see a clear way forward to deal with files.

Note of course, this would ideally replace file storage, in which case we would replace file_storage_object content type, which has no specific attributes, except that they _are_ files created by file storage (except images which get image content_type), so the only real way to distinguish them is which folder they are in.

Maybe looking at folders is the best way? Limiting to results to specific folders? See the wiki proposal which does use folders to store uploaded files. Of course this leaves a question of identifying the correct folder, which seems at least, a smaller problem, since the number of root folders will be less than the number of files in the folders.