Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: CVS down?

Collapse
4: Re: CVS down? (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
There are two things going on ...

1. The machine got hacked into due to a volunteer's computer being compromised, a keystroke sniffer catching the volunteer's password when they logged into the cvs server, and the volunteer being a SUDO user on the box.

2. The Sisks have moved to Portland, Oregon and are in the process of moving servers from the east to west coast.

MIke has donated a server for us to use for CVS. He's set up accounts for Jeff and I (as of yesterday afternoon) and has restored backups. I intend to poke around on the box this afternoon (my time, and it's already afternoon :)

He'll be going back east in a couple weeks, at which time we'll move the openacs.org site to the west coast server. After Mike transports the rest of their machines from the east to west coast we'll have two donated servers for the project again (thanks, Mike and Janine!), one for the web site, one for CVS.

There will be some DNS propagation delays and the like that may make service flakey for a few hours or a day or so but other than that, hopefully things will be smooth. Oh, I imagine we'll take down openacs.org for awhile to make a PG dump and move content to the interim box, then once again to the new server once it arrives on the west coast.

Collapse
5: Re: Res: Re: CVS down? (response to 4)
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Ok. That's good news, I mean, that it will be back up soon :). Thanks all for the hard work.