Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS 4.5 beta progress ...

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It seems to be ready to go but I've got a bad cold/mild flu thing
going on that hit me on Thursday and got pretty bad on Saturday and is
still bad today.

So though I've made sure everything installs I haven't made the
tarball available.

I think I'll be able to do this in the next day or two, as soon as I
start getting over this damn virus thing.

Sorry for the last-minute delay.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Uh-oh, better make sure the virus doesn't get into OpenACS. Or maybe you caught it from OpenACS? Maybe you got bit by the the awfully viral GPL?!

Anyway, writing because I've found and squashed a few minor bugs, recently (for example https://openacs.org/sdm/one-baf.tcl?baf_id=1373). I just wanted to make sure I understand what the procedure is for getting those patches into the 4.5 release.

Don, are you looking through submitted bugs/patches and fixing/applying those to the oacs-4-5 branch? Or should I get an openacs account and commit those patches myself? Did I miss a doc or a thread outlining the process?

Collapse
Posted by MaineBob OConnor on

Evidently your antivirus software is ineffective. Maybe you forgot to update the signature files 😊

Get well soon!

-Bob

Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Maybe if we all join in and do a Woodstock "No Flu!!" type chorus, we can help Don get back on his feet! 😊
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Lars ... I swept through and applied most of them on Saturday, since it's fairly mindless to do and I'm sick enough to be more or less without a mind at the moment.

There were a couple I needed to investigate further that didn't go in, and one that's no longer necessary which I need to refuse because it's been fixed in another way.

I applied your patch of a day or so ago, but haven't gotten to your recent ones.

You're more than welcome to join the team, of course, and certainly I'd trust you to apply your patches your self (or anyone else's).  I haven't required folks who are applying their own to put the patch up in the SDM (there have been too many bugs to fix!) but we do need to make sure that we note bug reports as fixed when we fix them.

When I'm feeling better e-mail me and I'll set you up with an account at openacs.org and commit privs.

I'm still feeling pretty crappy (headache's the worst part) and may or may not roll out the beta tonight.  At this point I may stall on the patches you've submitted until after beta (but they'll get in the release, of course) just because I've missed my self-imposed Sunday deadline for rolling it out and folks are anxious.

We'll see how energetic I feel ...

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Don,

I'm quite happy with you going over and applying the patches.

Didn't mean to bug you (no pun intended), just wanted to make sure I wans't throwing bug reports/patches out into thin air or sidetracking them somewhere where nobody would find them until we got around to the 8.0 release.

Thanks for your diligence :)

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Don, Lars,

I can help with these administrative duties. Just let me know what level of access you want to give to Lars and I'll open an account for him and give him the appropriate privs.

I'm going to do some bug-squashing tonight to help you out.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I am definitely going to make the beta tarball in the morning.  I just applied another round of patches (thanks, Lars!) but am just feeling a bit too under the weather to pull everything together for the release.

If you're going to make last-minute fixes would you e-mail me details?  I don't want to tag the release until I can do a final install check for both Oracle and PG (just to make sure all datamodels install, I won't be able to try mounting and testing every package).  If you're making changes at the same time I'm doing this, I can't really be guaranteed that the copy I test is the one I'll be tagging afterwards.

It might be better to submit patches rather than fix things directly in CVS until I get this rolled.

It's going to be my number one priority in the morning now that I'm feeling better, and I don't want anything to get in the way of releasing after everyone's having to put up with this one last delay.