Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Edit This Page 2.0 project

Collapse
Posted by Clay Gordon on
I use Userland Manila in a hosted environment for my site chocophile.com. I'd love to see an OACS-based version of this, including the ability to enable a managed hosting company to quickly and easily set up virtually-hosted domains (chocophile.com is not on a dedicated server -- not @ $12.50/mo). If you need a tester who is familiar with using Manila, then I'd love to help.

One extension I'd like to see is the ability to be able to create "private" areas for consulting clients, e.g., client1.webwideguides.com, client2.webwideguides.com. This would provide a simple extranet capability.

Manila provides robust templating capability with the ability to define a different template for the home page. There is little workflow, but there are multiple editor roles (managing editor, contributing editor, content editor), which is useful.

One useful aspect of Manila is the plug-in architecture. I can see many OACS modules as plug-ins, and people creating ones specfically to support some types of interaction.

Finally, if ETP for OACS supports the portals module, I can see a lot of very interesting work in the development of "themes" -- packaged designs.

As I said, a great idea. I can't contribute much technically to the discussion of the overall integration w/OACS, but I'd like to help w/features/functions from the user perspective. As an aside: support for SOAP/RSS, take a look at radio.userland.com, and the klogs group at Yahoo! groups for more on how ETP/OACS might evolve.