Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Edit This Page 2.0 project

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Guys,

It seems that there are lot of great ideas for ETP 2.  Like using categorization, etc.  I for one would like suggest the idea of linking content items to other content items.  Currently ETP 1 uses cr_folders for its parent_id, we can also use another cr_items as a parent_id.  This way we can have multiple objects related to one another.

But I think the general direction of ETP 2 should be more of a simplification and clean up.  Move more functions to /tcl procs and use more db api's.  I think is in the list of Luke too.  Once we have a good working skeleton CMS system we can then build this cool ETP apps on top of it.  My opinion is move ETP to a platform for CMS like application.  Its like a thin layer in between OpenACS and your CMS app.  So ETP 2 will carry some application (e.g. simple content, w/ workflow) that may serve as a starting point for customization or example how to use ETP core.

So I think we should move ETP 2 to a general direction of having ETP core procs and db api.  Then have very thin applications that make use of this ETP procs and db api.  So its like OpenACS that is a blue print for a Community Based site, ETP 2 will be a blue print for a CMS app.