Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS 4.5 Beta1 is available

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK, give it a shot, folks.  It's called "beta 1" for a reason, if
necessary I'll roll out an update to this on short notice if
anything's thoroughly hosed.
Collapse
Posted by Mat Kovach on
Don (and everybody else).  Thanks for all the hard work.  Hopefully this also means you are feeling better.

Well, time to download.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Hold on ... Yon Feldman found a PG-specific query that crept into a bad place due to a patch.  I was looking for stuff like this but missed it.

I'll replace the tarball momentarily.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK, that infant(ile) mortality's been fixed.  I just updated the tarball, didn't change the release number or anything like that.
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on
Great news! Thanks to all who made this happen!

Does the oacs-4-5-beta-1 CVS tag get us the fixed beta1, or the original beta1? I see a fix to packages/acs-tcl/tcl/security-procs.xql dated 13 March which is probably the one you are referring to... but I thought I'd ask... aha... there is a tag oacs-4-5-beta-1-1 which I'll use instead. Looks like it was merged back into oacs-4-5-beta-1 anyway, but I'll play safe and use oacs-4-5-beta-1-1 for now.

I don't see the info on the new tag posted anywhere yet... hope I'm not just duplicating already known and official info on the CVS tags with this post!

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Geddert on
Thank you everybody for all the hard work. I installed this system tonight following the instructions and it went smoothly and am very impressed. I sure hope i will be able to work on this project in the future. Now if only i could convince my boss that this is the way to go (instead of ASP and MS SQL server)...
Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Great News!

Ok folks, we're nearly ready to get a good acceptance test cycle going, but I could still use a few more volunteers.

If you have some time/resources to spare to test a package or two please let me know.

Thanks
Simon

Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
Thanks to everyone also for the beta.

Don, this means we can go ahead with our development and trust that data model changes will be accompanied by upgrade scripts, right?

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Thanks folks,

I'm getting quite a few volunteers now.. (always room for more)

Anyway, just thought I'd quickly explain what the plan is. We have two major requirements.

1) To create a good acceptnace checklist for each package

2) To excercise each package, for each database, using the checklist.

Therefore, to make this easier what I'm trying to do is

- Create on online form/tables/views for recording and viewing this stuff.

- Encourage developers/acceptance testers to help add to and build up the list of tests for each package.

Anyway, we're a bit snowed under here, but I hope to have a simple app available in the next 24hrs (or so) and then we can get cracking.

Cheers

Simon

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
C.R. - yes, changes to 4.5 should include upgrade scripts from now on...

Lars Pind found an error in a patch submitted by Tilmann Singer (I only mention his name because Tilmann's so reliable that it only seems right to announce this evidence of his being capable of human error!) and I'll replace the tarball again later today.  It's not a problem that most folks would notice as it's in the APM and won't crop up if you've downloaded our entire tarball and install from it.

But I'm going to update it anyway.  If things look good after some preliminary testing by Simon I'll probably roll a quick "beta-2" with a few more bug patches as folks are still submitting them (thanks, everyone!) and then work towards a final release a week or two after that.

How does that sound to folks?

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
I'm not seeing an obvious link to the installation directions.  (I'll dig them out of the forums, since I know I've seen the link, anyway.)  The readme.txt in the tarball sends me to openacs.org/4/ but there's no obvious link to installation directions from that page.
Collapse
Cathy, I noticed that as well, the place to go is here:

https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-4/acs-dev.html

Collapse
lets try that again, the place to go is here:
<p>
<a href="/doc/openacs-4/index.html">https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-4/index.html</a>
Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Wong on
The header with the "Documentation" link should be changed from /doc/openacs to /doc
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Other things to get to when you have time:

It would be nice to add comments to the documentation.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Okay,

* Updated https://openacs.org/4/ with links for download, documentation, etc.

* Changed the OpenACS menu item "Documentation" to point to "/doc/" instead of "/doc/openacs/" (thanks Gilbert).

* Synced the database with the filesystem so you now can add comments/links to the OpenACS 4.5 docs (thanks Jade).

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
I just checked out the new openACS 4.5 installation guide and it looks *really* professional!!!

Great work Roberto, Vinod and everybody else involved...

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
David, the install guide is Vinod's work. I just gave some tips and minor help. All credits and kudos go to him. For the final release I will have modified it so it doesn't assume you'll be compiling everything from scratch (e.g. packages)
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Aargh, sorry for that error in the patch. I added "2> /dev/null" in three places, and tested only two of them. Note to self: _always_ test every change, even if it seems most trivial.

Of course I could argue that this was deliberate to make Don mention my name here ...